You’ve joined the gym, you’re a member of Sleek Geek on social media and you’ve worked hard to get your body summer ready. And then the holidays come screeching around the corner and you’re right back at flabby square one. Not this time! This year you’re going to serve a delicious guilt-free holiday feast that will keep your health and fitness goals on track… mostly!
Mains - Move over turkey, spicy chicken cilli
- 6 onions, chopped
A series of recipes that will help you feel full but stay on track with your fitness goals this holiday season.
- ¼ cup quality olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 red peppers, cored, seeded, large diced
- 4 yellow peppers, cored, seeded, large diced
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (taste as preferred)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (taste as preferred)
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 cans whole peeled plum tomatoes in puree, undrained
- ½ cup minced fresh basil leaves
- 8 split chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
- freshly ground black pepper
- grated cheddar cheese – for serving
- Cook onions in olive oil over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add bell peppers, chilli powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
- Crush tomatoes by hand or in batches in a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse about 9 times.
- Add to the pot with the basil and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and let simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Rub the chicken breasts with the olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast chicken for 35-40 minutes, until just cooked. Let cool slightly. Separate the meat from the bones and skin and cut into chunks.
- Add to the chilli and simmer, covered for another 20 minutes. Serve hot and grate cheese over the top.